Poultry & Meat Dishes
Roasted Shio-koji Herb Chicken
Shio-koji makes the chicken tender. Use basil or oregano instead of thyme if you like.
Ingredients (2-3 servings)
6 chicken drumsticks (about 750 gm)
4 tablespoons shio-koji
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
3 small spring potatoes
Coarsely ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180˚ C (350˚ F). Lightly oil a shallow baking pan.
- Put two incisions into the chicken drumsticks.
- Cut the garlic cloves lengthwise in half.
- Boil the potatoes until they can be pierced with a bamboo skewer. Set aside.
- Put the chicken and the shio-koji in a bowl and mix until the chicken is well coated. Add the olive oil, garlic, and thyme and mix well. Let it sit 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the bowl and place in the baking pan.
- Pour the leftover chicken marinade over the potatoes and mix well. Add the potatoes to the pan with the chicken.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the chicken is golden brown. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
shiokoj : 10 % of chicken weight
for each pound, use 2 ½ Tbsp. ; for each kilo, use 5 Tbsp.