Soups & Stews
French Style Winter Stew
A soup that warms you up- perfect for winter. The chicken becomes very tender with the addition of amazaké and shio-koji.
Ingredients (2 servings)
400 gm cut whole chicken
40 gm shio-koji
½ lotus root
1 kabu (Japanese turnip)
500 cc water
100 cc amazaké
50 cc saké
- Coat the chicken in shio-koji and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Peel the carrot and kabu and cut in half lengthwise. Peel the potatoes and cut in half. Peel the lotus root and cut into half-moon slices about 1.5 cm thick.
- Put the water in a large saucepan and add the sake, the meat and all the vegetables except for the kabu and heat on high heat.
- After it boils, skim the surface of the soup. Lower the heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes.
- Add the kabu and simmer for another 10 minutes.
In Vietnam they eat a soup that uses mochi rice sake which is similar to amazaké. They use chicken, cilantro, seri (Asian parsley) and watercress for this special chicken stew. In this recipe we use root vegetables. Leafy vegetables with strong flavors would be a great addition.