500 gm koji
170 gm sea salt
650 cc water
- Put the koji in a bowl and rub with your hands to break up any clumps.
- Add the salt and mix thoroughly with your hands, rubbing vigorously until the mixture sticks together when squeezed.
- Add just enough water to cover the mixture, stir and transfer to a clean, covered container. Keep at room temperature.
- For the first week, stir once a day until the flavor settles. Stir from the bottom to bring air into the mixture.
- It takes 7-10 days to reach full flavor, depending on the season. When it is done, the rice kernels are smaller and the fragrance is salty sweet.
- I recommend using fine-grained sea salt with a simple flavor. Koji intensifies flavor, so salt with a high mineral content will have a strong mineral taste.
- Run through a blender for a smoother consistency.